Find the Right Pet Insurance for Your Dog
• Always check the genetics of your dog by visiting the Canine Health Foundation website A lot of the genetic issues will not be covered by dogs insurance. You may be able to get around this if you insure before the dog is diagnosed.
• Buy only what suits your needs and budget. All of the major pet insurance companies allow you to get pet insurance quotes online or over the phone. You can also purchase the dog insurance the same way.
• Schedule a physical AFTER your dog has insurance. If the vet finds an issue before the dog is insured then the dog insurance will be more expensive or you may not even be able to find coverage. If your vet finds an issue after the dog is insured then it should be covered.
Tips & Warnings
• Puppies have accidents and get injuries much more than full grown dogs. It is usually prudent to get a higher level of accident coverage when they are still young and then take it down a bit after a year or two.
• It’s hard to identify a dog’s age but your vet can usually tell you a fairly accurate estimate.
• Multiple pet discounts are available with most pet insurance companies.
• Purebred dogs are always more expensive to cover.
• Old dogs, from 9 to 11 are usually denied coverage from most dog insurance companies.
• Some plans, but not all, cover spaying and neutering so plan accordingly.